Latest posts by Rich Thurman MA, CSCS CPT, ONNIT KB Specialist (see all)
- Steel Mace Training: 3 Exercises For A Bigger Bench Press - April 20, 2016
- Steel Mace Training: What Is It? - March 28, 2016
- 10 Most Common Fitness Training Mistakes for Beginners - December 28, 2015
In order to be successful within the realm of fitness, whether it’s to lose weight, gain muscle, fit into those old jeans or just get healthy, we need a little help. So here are some tips to keep you moving towards your fitness success. Remember success belongs to you and no one can define it for your life but you!
Top 10 Fitness Tips:
1. Set a goal – we can’t start a journey without a clear destination or set of destinations to reach along the journey right?
2. Prepare – If I want to travel the world, I don’t just show up at the airport without any cash, luggage or necessary items to successfully complete the trip. I should prepare a few things. In the case of your fitness goals you should prepare clothing, foods and modes of exercise.
3. Give more – This one, like most of the items is universal. Whether at work, home or in the gym, give a little more each time. You’d be surprised by the results.
4. Rest hard – remember that in order to give more on the court, in the classroom, on the field or in the gym, you’ve got to get adequate rest and recovery. Your body needs rest to perform optimally at work and play.
5. Provide Premium Fuel – I don’t own a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, but I definitely wouldn’t put the lowest grade gasoline in it if I did. However, my body is a vehicle I can’t trade in if it breaks down or if the engines and pipes are rusted. So why not put premium grade foods into your body and get the most life out of it?
6. Learn – learning should be lifelong. The connection between your brain and your body is important. Constantly stimulating the connections between your nervous system and your muscle will keep your mind and body in balance. Learn something new and it doesn’t have to be from a book. For example when I learn a new Salsa movement my body establishes a new pattern and creates new neurological connections… Remember it’s about Mind, Body & Spirit.
7. Think Positive – the one thing I forbid in my personal training sessions is the word “can’t”. Can’t is negative and many times people will talk themselves out of things mentally before even attempting. I believe with concentration and focus human beings can achieve tremendous feats. There is no weight I can’t concur, no movement I cannot master and no boundary I cannot surpass. Believe and push!
8. You are who you associate with – I heard someone say if you don’t like who you are then take a look at the 5 closest people around you. Now that’s a touchy subject, but realistically if you want to be fit and you’re working your ass off to get in shape and the 5 closest friends around you are in the bar every weekend; asking you why you workout so much; saying things like come on one beer won’t hurt your training when they know it’s never just one beer or they’re just foodies in general, then ask yourself the question.
In certain circumstances it’s good to be around people with differences, but when it comes to my personal fitness I want to be around like minded people.
9. Join a fitness group – this is a take off of number 8. Groups of people who share similar interests are great. You like to bike, join a cycling group. You like rock climbing then find a group who goes together. If you want to work out a group is a great way to stay motivated. Not only do you get to socialize with people, but you also share in your achievements and challenges.
10. Have Fun! This needs no explanation. If you aren’t having fun then you’re less likely to continue. So have fun with your fitness.
Powered by Facebook Comments