Latest posts by Rich Thurman MA, CSCS CPT, ONNIT KB Specialist (see all)
- Steel Mace Training: 3 Exercises For A Bigger Bench Press - April 20, 2016
- Steel Mace Training: What Is It? - March 28, 2016
- 10 Most Common Fitness Training Mistakes for Beginners - December 28, 2015
The popularity of Kettlebells has grown so much that even the more traditional big commercial gyms and condo gym facilities are stocking them.
Unfortunately, most people have no idea how to use them or what to even do with them. I often see people using them like dumbbells because they have not idea what else to do with them.
The truth is, Kettlebells are an awesome tool that allow you to do so much more than other gym tools. I started using Kettlebells about 10 years ago with my personal training clients and the results we’ve been able to achieve are awesome!
Here are the top 7 reasons you should be using Kettlebells too!
1. Improve Single Arm Strength – Most Kettlebell exercises are single arm movements. This means that each arm must be able to do the work.
Unlike barbells where one are might be working a little harder than the other, the single arm Kettlebell movements root out weakness.
2. Increased Grip/forearm Strength – Kettlebell handles are often thicker than dumbbells and barbells, which challenges grip strength.
Also, the exercises like swings and snatches, puts added challenge on grip.
3. Endless Variation – The potential for Kettlebell movements are limitless. You can literally work the entire body with a Kettlebell, from leg exercises like Squats to other exercises like Swings and various pushing exercises.
4. Better Back, Butt & Hamstrings – Many Kettlebell exercises are great for the posterior chain. The main movements like Swings are great for Glute, Hamstring and Back development.
More advanced exercises like Snatches and Cleans are also great for the posterior.
5. Great Olympic Lift Alternative – The Kettlebell can be a safe alternative to Olympic Lifts in situations where it’s just not possible to perform them with a Barbell. e.g. In small confines or in your home.
Some clients also may not be able to perform or have no interest in snatching a bar overhead.
6. Portable & Space Savers – Kettlebells are much more portable than a barbell. I’ve carried them on public transportation to and from Bootcamp classes in the past. I’ve also found them easier to fit in the car than a bar.
They also don’t take up much space and can be stowed easily.
7. Great for Cardio/HIIT & Fat Burning – Kettlebell exercises really ramp up the heart rate and can be used in HIIT or Interval Circuits.
They are a great tool to help you or your clients maximize fat burning at the same time improving strength.
Powered by Facebook Comments